‘Tis the season to give back!
The holidays are here. We are blessed to be surrounded by the festive lights, colorful decorations and people we love. However, some people in our community are still struggling to survive the hunger, loneliness and homelessness. Hence, whenever the holidays roll around, we just get the urge to give back and help make the world brighter for those in need.
There are many ways that you can give back, without doing incredible things or spending too much money. We have a few suggestions below:
1. Volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen. We think it is a great way to interact with people you’re helping. It also gives you a valuable hands-on experience with community service. If you have any talents like playing a musical instrument or singing, you can entertain people at the shelters. If you like to cook or want to join the cooking team, you can help prepare and serve meals at the soup kitchens. But if you do not have time to do any of these, you can donate some extra food items and ask your friends and other family members for more food.
2. Donate your closet/house clutter. This way will inspire you to clean out your closet and/or your house. First, gather all of your bits of clutters. Then decide what you do not want to use anymore. The third step will be to separate the things that are in good condition. Think of giving away items that you would like to receive if you were in their shoes. The items can vary, from clothes and shoes, to kids’ toys or small home appliances. From our two kids’ piles of toys, we can find a lot of stuff that they have just used once or twice.
3. Make holiday cards for hospitalized kids or shelter residents. This act of kindness can be done by yourself, or with your kids. We recommend doing it with your kids, so it can become a family tradition. After this activity, the kids know that a lot of children are less fortunate than they are and that what they have just done will instantly brighten others’ day.
4. Adopt a family. You and your family can be secret Santa Clauses this year. Pick up a holiday wish list from a random household and go shopping for them. When you are done shopping, drop the presents off at the family’s front door.
5. Participate in charity events. If you just want to give back in general, participate in organized activities at your local charities. They usually host a lot of events during the holiday season, and you will find the most meaningful way of giving back there.
The holiday season is a time for sharing and caring, not only for our loved ones but also for those who are less fortunate than we are. When people are in need, the generosity of others means so much to them. Thus, lending a helping hand will surely make a big difference, especially during this time of the year. Remember, ‘tis the season to give back.
Happy Holidays, everyone!
Comments are closed.